I’ve long been fascinated by neuroscience and throughout my explorations of the field, I’ve narrowed my focus to neuroethology. I am broadly interested in the neural mechanisms underlying adaptive behaviors.
My work focuses on ant sociobiology, neuromodulation, and comparative neuroanatomy. Currently, I am studying the visual circuitry involved in navigation in Australian bull ants (Myrmecia).
2016 – present. Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Biological Sciences, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
2015. Ph.D. Neuroscience, Boston University, Boston, USA
2008. B.A. High Honors in Neuroscience, minor in Psychology, Oberlin College, OH, USA
- Kamhi JF, Gronenberg W, Robson SKA, Traniello JFA. 2016 Social complexity influences brain investment and neural operation costs in ants. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 283: 20161949.
- Giraldo, Y.M., Kamhi, J.F., Fourcassié, V., Moreau, M., Robson, S.K.A., Rusakov, A., Wimberly, L., Diloreto, A., Kordek, A., and J.F.A. Traniello (2016). Lifespan behavioral and neural resilience in a social insect. Proceedings of the Royal Society: B., 283 (1822).
- Kamhi, J.F., Nunn, K., Robson, S.K.A., and J.F.A. Traniello (2015). Polymorphism and division of labor in a socially complex ant: neuromodulation of aggression in the Australian Weaver Ant, Oecophylla smaragdina. Proceedings of the Royal Society: B., 282(1811).
- Kamhi, J.F. and J.F.A. Traniello (2013). Biogenic amines and collective organization in a superorganism: neuromodulation of social behavior in ants. Brain, Behavior and Evolution, 82(4): 220-236.
- Muscedere, M.L., Johnson, N., Gillis, B. C., Kamhi, J. F., and J.F.A. Traniello (2012). Serotonin modulates worker responsiveness to trail pheromone in the ant Pheidole dentata. Journal of Comparative Physiology, 198(3): 219-227.
- Snyder, J.S., Choe, J.S., Clifford, M.A., Jeurling, S.I., Hurley, P., Brown, A., Kamhi, J.F., and H.A. Cameron (2009). Adult-born neurons are more numerous, faster maturing and more involved in behavior in rats than in mice. Journal of Neuroscience, 29(46): 14484-14495.
- Snyder, J.S., Glover, L.R., Sanzone, K.M., Kamhi, J.F., and H.A. Cameron (2009). The effects of exercise and stress on the survival and maturation of adult-generated granule cells. Hippocampus, 19(10): 898-906.